2018 FILM SUBMISSION GUIDELINES & TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Our vision is to celebrate cycling in all its shapes and forms.
We aim to share the best cycling short films from around the world with our audience.
The Big Bike Film Night (BBFN) is organised by Liquid Events and we are celebrating our 4th year of bringing these wonderful inspiring stories to the Big screen.
All films selected as finalists will be screened to the public at the ‘Premiere’ Big Bike Film Night in Taupo in February 2018, and then taken on a tour around the country shortly afterwards.
The films can be about road cycling, mountain biking, BMX, adventure based, documentaries, humorous or something entirely different; we are open minded about the style and genre but it must show bicycles.
If you have a film that meets this criteria we invite and encourage you to submit your film for pre-selection consideration.
The BBFN provides an opportunity for film makers to showcase their work, receive merit, help build international exposure and contribute towards a stronger and vibrant bike culture.
Dates at a glance
Open for Submissions – 27th October 2017
Deadline – 12th January 2018
Notify producers whose entries are selected as finalists –26th January 2018
Premiere Screening – TBC February 2018
Submission Costs- FREE
Charging you for the privilege of submitting your film is… frankly not fitting and not very collaborative. Our aim is to produce the best programme of films and attract as many people as possible to see them. We respect and appreciate your support and value what you do as a film maker/ production house.
We have a desire to see others succeed and this year we are non-competitive; with all participating films in the Big Bike Film Night 2017 Collection receiving a measure of financial reward.
We have a Panel of Judges who will view the films submitted. From the submitted films, the Jury will select the best to be presented in the programme for the BBFN.
All selected films are invited to show the official BBFN logo and laurel in the film credits, your promotional/ press material and on your official website.
How and What to Submit
The Big Bike Film Night accepts entries of short movies or shorter ‘festival’ edits of feature length films (ideally 10-25 minutes). Films entered to the BBFN must not have been screened commercially, or broadcast, in New Zealand. Films can be new, pre-existing or made for this event but may not be older than two years (year of production: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017).
- A Film Submission Form (one per film) should be completed and returned by 12th January 2018. If you have a Press Kit/ Trailer for your film (720p or 1080p) please submit with this form.
- All non-English speaking films MUST have English subtitles. (We recommend a sans-serif font with maximum readability against both light and dark backgrounds).
- Receipt of entries will be acknowledged by the BBFN Organiser as long as the correct email address is supplied and ONLY if requested.
- All submissions will be retained by the BBFN for adjudication, on demand and archival purposes.
- The BBFN is not responsible for returning submitted materials, unless you provide a selfaddressed mailing package and postage.
- Submission of films does not guarantee their showing at the BBFN.
- At least two high resolution JPG image of a scene in the film are supplied for free use in
promoting the BBFN. All images must be labelled with film title, location and photographer credit and will be retained by BBFN. Please keep individual file sizes under 6Mb.
- Finalists will be notified by late January 2018. Format preferred is DCI compliant DCP (24 frames) alongside your film supplied as .mp4 or .mov files with dimensions of 1920 x 1080. 720p and h264 codec.
- The BBFN will pay film makers who are selected for the 2018 film tour based on submission length and total profit revenue of the tour. Film makers will be paid after the BBFN tour in the most economical way.
- The entrant acknowledges and agrees that all matters will be decided by the BBFN Organiser or Judges at their sole discretion. THE BBFN’s selection decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into. We do not provide critical analysis or feedback.
- An admission charge will be made to the public in order to cover the costs of the event.
- The BBFN retains the option to screen award-winning films following the Premiere screening.
- Screening fees will not be paid.
The entrant agrees to indemnity the BBFN, their respective successors, licensees, and their
respective officers, Directors, members, agents and employees and hold them harmless from and against any and all claims, liability, losses, damages, costs, expenses (including reasonable legal fees), and penalties arising out of, resulting from, based upon or incurred because of a breach by the entrant of any statement, representation or warranty made by the entrant in the entry form, these procedures and regulations.
We MUST download your film screener for judging, or receive a copy at the Big Bike Film Night Office via Post.
Projection Formats for Judging
We like all film screeners to be supplied as .mp4 or .mov files with dimensions of 1920 x 1080. 720p and h264 codec. The file should not be bigger than 2GB.
There are FOUR different options to send your film screener:
- If the film can be viewed online (only on YouTube or Vimeo sites, public or password protected), please include the relevant link (and password) on the Submission form.
- Entries via FilmFreeway.com accepted.
- Submission form, promotional image/s and a digital version of the film screener delivered to the Big Bike Film Night office via download on http://www.wetransfer.com . The highest quality level please.
- A digital version of the film screener and promotional image/s and delivered to the Big Bike Film Night office via download on http://www.dropbox.com . The highest quality level please.
- If the film screener is not available in an online version, post two DVD copies/ Flash Drives of the film to the address below. PAL standard preferred (but NTSC accepted). DVD’s SHOULD NOT be copy protected as the films will be copied onto a hard drive for screening during the film night. Materials must be shipped prepaid, if being sent from overseas can be cleared at our end if package indicates Title of the Film and is marked: “GOODS FOR EXHIBITION AND RETURN“. DVDs should have a nominal value of NZD$10 for customs clearance.
In case of loss or serious damage to a DVD/ Flash Drive, the obligation of the Big Bike Film Night is limited to compensating the producer or distributor only to the cost of making a new print.
Mailing and Courier address:
The Big Bike Film Night SUBMISSIONS
69 Acacia Bay Road, Taupo, WAIKATO 3330, NEW ZEALAND
Format for the Collection
If selected in the 2018 Collection, we will need to have you send your film to us in several different formats as the variety of cinemas and venues means there is no ‘one fit all’ format that is appropriate. It is your responsibility to have the films in DCI compliant DCP (24 frames) format and we will also need your film supplied as .mp4 or .mov files with dimensions of 1920 x 1080. 720p and h264 codec.
Any other questions or enquiries should be directed to the Organiser, Brett Cotter [email protected]
Within your submission you will be asked if you have read and agreed with the Terms and Conditions laid out in this document. Participation in the Big Bike Film Night implies understanding and acceptance of these regulations.
To finish with, the spirit of collaborative is well represented by the well-known Maori proverb: “Na to rourou, na taku rourou, ka ora ai te iwi” or in English “with your food basket and my food basket, the people will thrive.”
Kia waimarie from Aotearoa/ Good Luck from us here in New Zealand!